May 4, 2014
In this episode, Helge and Tim run down the list of the six most
important AS-Interface benefits - explained in
about one minute each:
- --2-conductor cable – Easy to run, low cost, fast installation,
no expensive connectors.
- --Topology-free – Run cable anywhere in any shape to simplify
layouts and make planning easy when you add another module during
install. Just keep in mind that a segment must be 100 m or
- --Open technology – 350 vendors offer just about anything from
stack lights to safety door switches to motor starters ... and of
course lots of I/O modules.
- --Fast and deterministic – Let's take a gateway with two fully
loaded AS-Interface networks, that is, 496 inputs and up to the
same number of outputs. All these outputs will be updated in 20 ms
guaranteed. Inputs are even faster. Those take just 10 ms. Reduce
the number of I/Os and the system updates even faster.
- --Supports just about any network and any PLC – Switch complete
I/O infrastructure from one PLC brand to another in no time.
- --Build really large networks – If a 100 m segment is not
enough, just add a second or third or fourth and create really
large networks easily.